Here’s a case study that the team at KGD Architecture shared with us. The project is a office campus, SKL Green Park, designed by the firm under the vision of the company’s chairman, Parth Amin. What’s particularly remarkable about the project is the fact that though completed two years ago, even before the COVID pandemic hit us, this is today the most COVID ready office is the country today.
The design brief and some of the demands laid down by the clients for the projects specified that they need an office that can be thoroughly cleaned, the need for fresh air, and a flexible workspace that allows its employees the freedom of walking around and be active, etc. Though some of these sounded a little un-orthodox or unconventional at that point of time; today it is ready to take on one of the biggest challenge we’ve ever faced.
The following simple design ideologies helped KGD architecture create one of the most effective office space post COVID-19:
- All lobbies of the project and not air conditioned but are naturally ventilated.
- All the workplace zones have solid granite flooring for a mandate to be able to be hosed down if needed. All windows of the workplace are openable windows which is used to re-circulate the fresh air in the office before every shift.
- All toilets are naturally ventilated to the outside and are fully scrub able surfaces, as all walls and floors are granite.
- The cafeteria is on the ground floor which is fully ventilated with through and through opening on both the sides of the zone, only for weather protection blinds have been provided.
- The stairs are wide, fully lite and ventilated so that people can move up and down with social distancing and avoid using the lift which can be a real cause of contamination.
These are just few of the elements which makes this buillding a very COVID ready building.