New Delhi-based renowned firm, CP Kukreja Architects (CPKA) are set to design the first Transit – Oriented Development Project, the East Delhi Hub, located in Karkardooma. Spread over a sprawling 60 acre site, the Hub will be a “Landmark Destination” and developed as a holistic integration of world-class and modern residential, commercial and retail spaces. With dense greenscape expanding horizontally as well as vertically, the project will also imbibe a harmonious sustainable endeavour for the Capital.
One of the major concerns surrounding Indian cities is its urban planning. Residents seem to be grappling with issues of safety, commute, living spaces and basic amenities such as clean air and drinking water. Persistent problems such as increased time of commute between work and office spaces and the safety of its citizens, particularly women and children through day and night, call for the advent of a new kind of architecture. The East Delhi Hub will be centred on the concept of Transit Oriented Development (TOD), one which improves connectivity across different parts of the City through mass transit and reduces dependence on private vehicles. The other area of focus is to have integrated self-sustainable developments where within a single site; there is a right mix of residential, commercial, recreational, healthcare, and institutional facilities. The project will be developed in Karkardooma, New Delhi and treads on above principles whilst heralding an iconic development for the City. With soaring 50-storey buildings, CP Kukreja Architects are poised to change the skyline of the Capital.
According to Dikshu C. Kukreja, Managing Principal, CP Kukreja Architects, “This is only the beginning. We believe that East Delhi Hub is not only a miniature Smart City, but a definition of ‘Living Organic Architecture” on real ground. East Delhi Hub will show the way for smart, auto-adaptive and responsive architecture in days to come. With each project, we aim to “read” and “respond” to the built and un-built contexts of the urban scape. This project has been dedicated to define the art of smart living for the smart communities of our future generations.
Key Features of the project:
- Transit-Oriented Development (TOD) – A pilot project, the development proposes density control by reconfiguring urban-massing along a well-defined public network (metro stations). This would be helpful not only for massively reducing commute time but also the traffic congestion and air pollution which the City seems to be struggling with.
- Vertical augmentation – The idea of a high-rise expansion is aimed at creating vertical neighbourhoods that would free up a considerable area for common, green spaces on the ground, a resource that is depleting in the City with every passing day. The plazas become vibrant public spaces that contain different leisure and multipurpose activities. With “Green for All”, the design brings landscape to the upper floors, along with proposing vertical gardens and green terraces. The squares and plazas are lined with commercial development to ensure ‘Eyes on the Streets,’ to ensure safer public areas.
- Facades juxtapose vernacular designs into contemporary aesthetics - Through the vertical greens, interesting elevation treatment is created - a skin designed with a combination of man-made materials and natural plantations. The tallest tower itself behaves like a massive sound absorber and has been ideally envisioned as a ‘Soundscraper’ which helps combat air and noise pollution. The facades use a combination of 2-3 layers of jaali (a traditional lattice used extensively in north India) in different patterns to trap dust and create standing waves that damp out any noise emanating from the nearby Anand Vihar terminus and high speed metro corridors.
- Sustainable thinking - The building masses are also designed to create an interesting pattern of urban solids and voids that allow natural light and ventilation within the Complex all the year round. The tall towers soar high above the landscape, connecting the city with the sky. These are envisioned to function as ‘watch-towers,’ rendering eyes to the city and contributing to smart urban surveillance.
- The development also is a successful example of harnessing and integrating technology into the project, encouraging a more nuanced and high-functioning security systems and user comfort spaces and helping in the overall management of the site.
- A smart system of technology also equips the Residential and Commercial Towers to enable the residents with a high-speed connection and communication mechanism. This would mean increased efficiency in information regarding pollution levels, weather conditions, and occupancy across different blocks and traffic news updation of areas in and around the site.
ABOUT CP KUKREJA ARCHITECTS
Dikshu C. Kukreja, Managing Principal, CP Kukreja Architects
Started in 1969 with a vision to redefine architecture and planning in India, CPKA is one of the most revered architectural firms in the country. They have been contributing to the field for almost 50 years. The firm is ranked amongst the Top 100 architecture firms in the world and Top 5 in Asia. CPKA has achieved the unique distinction of being the first design firm in India to have acquired a US-based design practice, specializing in Sustainability. Their integrated practice undertakes consultancy in Master Planning, Architecture Urban Design, Structural and Civil Engineering, Electrical, Plumbing and Sanitary Engineering, Air-conditioning and FDV System, Fire Fighting System, Quantity Surveying and Estimating, and Project Management. CPKA’s unique multi-disciplinary approach is the reason for creation of some of the most iconic buildings across the globe in addition to their commitment to design excellence through innovation and sustainability. It has been receiving global awards and recognition across major design platforms such as the BUILD Review’s 2018 Architecture Innovation Awards, wherein CPKA has been recognized as the ‘Most Innovative Indian Architectural Design Firm for the year 2018’, amongst other numerous awards.